Melody Hoi-lam YIU
Melody is an urban researcher-designer with a focus on culture and public space, currently a Research Assistant Professor at the School of Architecture, Chinese University of Hong Kong. With experience in global cities from London to Shanghai, her practice over the last two decades is recognized through award-winning masterplan and urban landscape projects. Since returning to Hong Kong in 2018, she integrates this professional knowledge and insight with her interest in cultural practices to pursue research on urbanism and cultural space, as well as conducting artistic collaboration in spatial design projects. After completing the PhD thesis on institutional cultural space with an intrinsic case study of the Hong Kong Cultural Centre, her current research investigates the topic of public space as cultural infrastructure and the spatial agency in cultural development.
MelodyHLYiu@cuhk.edu.hk | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Urban Design and Public Space
- Cultural Infrastructure and Architecture
- Inclusive Cultural Development
- Participatory Arts and Cultural Practices
- Melody Hoi-lam YIU (2022), “Cultural Centers in Hong Kong: Welfare Provision or Economic Instrument?” Architecture and Culture. DOI: 10.1080/20507828.2021.2020040
- Francesco ROSSINI, Melody YIU (2020) “Public Open Spaces in Private Developments in Hong Kong”. Journal of Urbanism: International Research on Placemaking and Urban Sustainability. 14:2, p237-261. DOI 10.1080/17549175.2020.1793803. | ** publication award: 2020 INU Prize for Urban Literature awarded National Institute of Urban Planning, Italy
- Hiroyuki SHINOHARA, Melody YIU (2019) “Collective Form for Post-Developmental Inner-city Regeneration”. International Conference: Architecture across Boundaries Volume 2019, KnE Social Sciences, p168–181. DOI 10.18502/kss.v3i27.5525.
Funded Research Projects
- “Her Place Her Say: empower women through design”. Jan2022– Aug2022. | Funding Scheme for Women’s Development (District Stream). Women’s Commission, HKSAR Government. [Project partner: Ms. Veera Fung Sze-Wai]
- “Mapping SDG for Urban Design: an online database and collaborative platform of global & local urban design cases in sustainable development”. Dec2021– Apr2022. | Courseware Development Grant. CUHK.
- “From Tourist Landmark to Everyday Space: A study of user experience through public space at the Hong Kong Cultural Centre”. Jun2021– May2022. |Direct Grant. Faculty of Social Science. CUHK.
- PhD in Architecture | School of Architecture, The Chinese University of Hong Kong. 2023.
- Executive MSc in Cities | London School of Economics, London, UK. 2018.
- Master Diploma (Master Barcelona Architecture program) | Fundacio UPC, Barcelona, Spain. 2006.
- Bachelor of Science (Architecture) | University of Texas at Arlington, USA. 2002.
- Urban Design Team Leader, Senior Associate | Perkins+Will – Shanghai. Jun 2013 to Apr 2016.
- Associate Director (Urban Design) | AECOM Design+Planning – Shanghai. Jan 2008 to Jun 2013.
- Creative Coordinator/ Designer | Zuni Icosahedron – Hong Kong. Nov 2006 to Dec 2007.
- Architectural Designer | Laguarda.Low Architects – Dallas, TX, USA. May 2001 to Sept 2005.